Monday, June 30, 2008

I love Nevada.

I remember moving into the doom my freshman year in college and proudly hanging a panoramic picture of the Las Vegas Strip. I added a Nevada state flag next to my Scottish flag during my junior year. I got all the questions that come when one is from “Las Vegas” … What hotel do you live in? There are churches in Las Vegas? People actually live there? Sometimes I even felt as if people were whispering as I walked by them in the caf., “she’s from Las Vegas!” I was the only Nevadan at university – and I was proud of it!

Nevada is an amazing state (despite popular opinion); it was the 36th state to enter the Union and did so in 1864. The state nickname is “The Silver State” due to the large number of silver deposits that have been mined in the state. Most people know Nevada for its easy marriage and divorce proceedings, legalization of gambling and, in a few counties, legalized brothels. These things plus the mob, Hoover Dam, wild horses, mining booms and busts and countless other events make up the amazing colorful history of Nevada.
One of the things I love the most about Nevada is my own personal, rich history here. Innumerable friends are spread out over the state, my brother lives in Reno, my parents want to retire to Elko and I have lived here longer than anywhere else in the world. By most standards I am a true local – as I have lived here for more than 20 years.
You may see many more posts about my fair state, I offer each as a tribute to the land that shaped me, made me a little less enamored with material things, enabled me to relate to others, taught me the difference between mob owned and corporate owned, gave me great entertainment when telling people where I was from and even provided the fodder for my senior thesis!

After all I am a proud Nevadan!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

As a fellow Nevadan, I can completely relate. :) Although the questions when you are not from Las Vegas are something like, "Nevada, that's in Las Vegas, right?" Thanks for the photos to remind me of home.