When I prepare to go places that are new or plan to attend events that are unique or out of the realm of daily life for me, I try to be available to be used as a blessing to someone else. I spend time readying my heart, my mind and my attitude to be open and sensitive to the moments and opportunities to be an encouragement and blessing to those around me. It still takes me by surprise when I come away blessed and encouraged myself.
That is what the few short days I was able to spend in Boise, ID were for me – a blessing and encouragement.
There are big changes ahead in my life and I have already begun to experience some of the smaller changes that lead up to those big changes. It scares me to think how poorly I have been handling those smaller changes. I have been in a funk of doubt, self loathing and self pity, not caring about anything – my relationships, the cleanliness of my living space has fallen to a level I have never experienced, my desire to run and train has all but disappeared along with any semblance of careful, planned eating. I have neglected my Gaelic learning and I have often chosen to watch television all day rather than do anything else. I have known myself long enough to know that these are all signs of a struggle going on in my life: a struggle between light and darkness – between joy and mediocrity.
I was invited to attend the Utah-Idaho SBC’s EQUIP 2008 conference to participate in the Commissioning Service they were having as the kick off to the event. My whirlwind trip began on Tuesday, when I flew into Boise and ended on Thursday with my return to Vegas. I got to meet some amazing men and women who God has set aside for specific service to Him.
The highlight of my time there was of course the Commissioning Service. I think in the end we confirmed the old adage that a disastrous rehearsal means a brilliant program! There were twelve of us speaking and we had quite the rehearsal – one that included people forgetting their lines, sound checks failing, changes in procedures and all that comes along with putting on an event of this magnitude. In the end, the service was a meaningful moment where God spoke to my heart. It started with the flag presentation - hundreds of flags being walked through the auditorium, breezing with each step sometimes reaching out to the crowd as if the people of that country were calling out. The worship team sang amazing songs that reaffirmed God’s desire for the world to hear of His Good News, while I was singing I knew God was letting me know that I was right where He wanted me. As if He was saying that He knew the waiting was hard and the changes were harder, but I was right where He wanted me to be. And then came the time for us to each share our 200 word testimony … WOW! I knew that it would be interesting with each of us being from different backgrounds with different stories, I just didn’t realise how moving it would be to hear us all speak together on the same calling.
I got on the plane to come home on Thursday feeling refreshed, thankful for the people of Idaho and Utah whom God used to minister to me. It seems I had just lost sight of God’s plan for me and being in Boise was a sweet, sweet time to allow God to readjust my eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wasn't there for the service, but thanks for taking part. I'm sorry I missed it.
God bless you.
Post a Comment