The penitentiary started out as a territorial prison with the first building being built in 1870. Over the course of its 100 years in use the Idaho Penitentiary housed more than 13,000 convicts - 215 of whom were women. They held their first execution in 1878 with the hanging of Tambiago, a Bannock Indian from Fort Hall and their last in 1957 with the hanging of Raymond Allen Snowden. Their youngest prisoner was a 10 year old boy, convicted of manslaughter and their oldest was an 81 year old man, convicted of stealing some horses. After two prison riots relating to the conditions of the prison, one in 1971 and the other in 1973, all the inmates were transferred to a new correctional facility south of Boise. The Old Idaho Penitentiary was officially closed in December 1973 and a year later was listed on the National Register for Historical Places.
Outside the the original Territorial Prison structure
Cell Block 2
Entrance to the Women's Ward - originally the Warden's house
A sign inside the women's cell block. I am sure it's nice to know your anonymity is guaranteed.
There were beautiful flowers over all the prison grounds - what else is there for prisoners to do but master horticulture.

1 comment:
i love you that enjoyed the old prison so much. I love that you are my historically minded friend. I cant wait until we can wander around and have fun, hisotircal expreiences together in the UK! I am so excited!
Post a Comment