Uncle S is the pastor of River Bend Baptist church. Several months ago, nearly right after I got my letter offering me the job, I called Uncle S and asked him if his church would be willing to be one of my partners in the endeavor. He gave me an emphatic yes … even before talking to the church body, I think! Thankfully, the members of River Bend are an awesome group of praying individuals and they jumped on board whole-heartedly. Words are not enough to convey the details of September 7, 2008. What I do know is that I experienced an awesome outpouring of Christ’s love for me … through His children.
It was a tough day to begin with because it was Granny’s birthday, which is one of the excuses we give for going to visit Aunt F. Granny was her older sister and beloved friend and Mum and I go to visit around the 7th so that we can support her on that day. I never connected what day I would be speaking at Uncle S’s church … ummm, until the night before! Oops. It was a wonderful little extra trinket of God’s provision in the story of my life to be sharing with Uncle S’s church about Scotland – on her birthday. You see, it was my Granny that planted and watered the seed of Scotland in my heart. She was a Gordon. I am a Gordon. In the presentation I have been giving to my prayer partners, I start out with the mention that I learned about Scotland first from her. I had a hard moment getting through that part of the presentation … but it was such a testimony to Grandpa and Granny Gordon to look out into the congregation and look at Mum, Aunt F, her son’s and their families – a remnant of their legacy.
Uncle S had informed me that I could take the whole sermon time to share if I wanted to! Haha. I made sure that he knew my presentation was ONLY 7-9 minutes (depending on how nervous I was and how quickly I read it)! Each time I spoke (they have two service) Uncle S tied everything together between myself and River Bend. How just as in Psalm 46, River Bend Baptist was a “river whose streams make glad the city of God” and now, I was a stream flowing from River Bend. Wow! After each of my presentations, the people who were there came around me and interceded on my behalf. I will never forget the feelings of awe I felt to have a woman kneel before me, praying for my feet as they carry the Good News of Christ; to hear the Scottish gentleman pray for me as I lived and worked among the “most stubborn people in the world;” when the music leader prayed for my heart, that God would protect it and that it would remain strong and true to the calling of Christ on my life and all the other prayers lifted up that meld into God speaking to my heart that I was truly doing what He had called me to do.
On Saturday, when I was standing on the beach looking out over the Atlantic Ocean, with her rough surge and roaring voice of agitation, I got a glimpse of what I would be seeing soon. My heart was comforted because I know that when I look out across the Atlantic Ocean again I will be looking towards a land full of people who love me, support me and lift me up. People who are willing to share in the excitement of adventure and the promise of the fulfillment of the greatest command God has given; but also intercede before me in the tough times, the sad and frustrating times and the times when life is at its darkest. I will be eternally grateful that God saw fit to bring them into my life in such a dramatic and personal way.

1 comment:
Susanna,
You were the blessing to us!!!
In Christ,
Dawn
River Bend Baptist Church
Post a Comment