Saturday, October 11, 2008

Running the Reservation.

Me, our race buddy J, Pop

Pop has been a runner for as long as I can remember. A year and a half ago when I was cleared for physical activity with out limits, I joined him. Nearly every Saturday since then we have gone out to the detention basin near our house and run various routes and distances. It is just what we do. Together. During the week, according to our own schedules we run our miles – pounding the pavement alone. But Saturday’s are our time.

Over the past months I have challenged him to 5K and 10K races and he has helped me train for half marathons. We compare times, keep up with each other’s performance, we note mental days and the things causing them and we generally push and prod the other to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Today we ran our last race together for a long while (unless I can convince him to come and run an international half marathon with me … hint hint). We ran our favourite race – favourite for its challenging course and incredible desert beauty. It was a tough run. We fought the wind, the hills, the cold, the physical hurt and the mental walls. It was FUN!
Even as we return to our lonely weekday runs and I move far away – in my heart we will always run Saturday's together.

No comments: