My new friend, M, here in Kyiv discovered a quilting store downtown. The store is amazing and has wonderful fabric and things, but they also offer a quilting class or quilting group. It is for ladies to come and spend time together – either working on whatever project they have individually, working cooperatively on the group project (which is a quilt that will be auctioned off to raise money for an orphanage the shop supports) or they have random classes’ to introduce new products and things the shop owner has discovered.
When I met M last week for lunch we happened to start talking about quilting. I began telling her how I was trying to learn to hand quilt. I told her about the project that my Aunt K (who is a pro at all kinds of quilting) had set me up with. M invited me to go along with her to the quilting group today.
It was a blast! I had so much fun. I was amazed at the number of women there – some of whom were my age. Today was one of the days where the shop previewed new stuff, so I did not end up working on my quilting, but I did paint fabric! In two weeks, the shop will have a mini gallery of the women’s work done today (painted and quilted, of course) and the best work will win a prize.
It was so neat to go to this shop and spend over two hours just listening to them speak. There was a lot of Russian and Ukrainian and I am certainly tired from straining to hear words I recognized; even though we do not speak the same languages there was a camaraderie that let me feel welcome. I think I even joined the group today! Haha. I only hope that these women will allow me into their lives, that they will become my friends and together we will learn many new things!
Now, I have got to find a sewing machine of my own …

5 comments:
Sounds like a good time! I hope it continues to work out. 9o9
I didn't know I was a 'pro' but I'll take the compliment. I am very glad you have found quilters - they are usually great folks!
Can't wait to see your finished painted project.
This is awsome, because now you can quilt Brain his very own special blanket! Chico, the blanket lover, wants one too, ha ha!
I want to know if they teach hardanger or pulled stitch work---that is my specialty, not common in the states, though much more so there. Chico's Mom
this is why i love you! beacsue you go to quilting. you are so cool. plus now you can make little Eli his very first quilt! :)
What an awesome opportunity!
Post a Comment