Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Ate It.

I thought I should start keeping record of the things that I eat around here. Most of the Ukrainian food I eat is delicious, but there have been (and I am sure will continue to be) many highlights.
Yesterday, whilst I was working at the seminary this lovely jar of food was delivered to ME, who I work with. I was not quite sure what it was, but I figured I could take a guess. It looked like green beans to me. Boy, was I WRONG!

It is actually a jar of pickled garlic shoots and I ate some. They were not as flavourful as I expected them to be - certainly not overwhelming in garlic taste. They were squishy and stringy. I was surprised that they were chilled ... or that could have been because it was so cold out yesterday ... who knows. Mostly, if I were to describe their taste, I would say they tasted like pickled green beans without the little green bean seeds. Of course, I would have to know what pickled green beans tasted like to make an exact comparison ...

5 comments:

Laura Forman said...

i have had pickled chicken feet...now that is a different taste :)

Ant K said...

Pickled garlic shoots? Sure do look like green beans. I just might have to try these. What are some other unusual foods?

Hope you are feeling better. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Pickled green beans are yummy!
LT

The 4 Milams said...

OOO! YUCK! You must be feeling better if you are trying strange food (or delirious!)

kristina said...

wow...i cant say that i would have wanted to try those! good for oyu on giving it a go though! :)