Sunday, February 28, 2010

Plate. Bowl.

One of the words for bowl in Russian, глубокая тарелка, literally translates to deep plate. In the arsenal of kitchen ware that my landlady provided there are six bowls. These bowls fit the description of deep plate completely.

They are nice bowls (especially since they are all I have) and they function okay. I run into a little trouble when I want an decent sized bowl of cereal or soup because they simply are not that big. They measure about six inches across and one inch deep ... leaving not a lot of room for a hearty helping of food. I have adjusted to accommodate my portion desire into two servings; granted, it is not convenient to have to get up and refill my bowl, but it works fine.

Whilst I was at the market the other day I passed a lady selling Ukrainian pottery. I see her booth often and always comment to myself that I should buy something, but I am generally never in a position to carry something else home. On Friday however, I was empty-handed and headed home straight away. So I stopped to look. The lady came over and talked to me some about what I was looking for and I finally decided on several bowls (of varying sizes). I was able to practice my numbers and math ... which apparently, I cannot add in any language! We finally decided on a price and I managed to get the bowls across the city in one piece. I have enjoyed using a "real" bowl for meals ever since.

4 comments:

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

Those are really nice. The colors are just you. Enjoy your cereal. tu mama

Shari Lutschkin said...

I love beautiful pottery. All the vivid colors, patterns,and the talent it takes to make them. Lovely things to treasure from your time them.

Anonymous said...

first, those are pretty!! second, i have discovered the BEST way to practice numbers is to contract a condition which requires frequent doctor visits and lab work, because you end up spending a lot of money and/or writing a lot of checks.

(i don't write out the numbers on the checks though, i have no idea how to spell them so i just hand it over with that line blank.)

Erin said...

Hi Susanna! I just found your blog! I love this one about the bowls...it's so incredibly true. I also appreciated that you pointed out the fact that it's rare to be walking home empty-handed. Isn't THAT the truth??