Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer Heat.

According to my national friends; these are the top three ways to survive the summer heat without air conditioning or any semblance of a breeze.

1. Drink lots of hot tea and eat loads of hot soup. Apparently, heating your insides hotter than your outsides makes you feel cooler. I tried this and commenced to sweat more than I already was ... still not convinced.
2. Sleep under a damp sheet. Right, sleep in a hot, stale room (because using a fan would be bad) under a wet sheet ... there are just so many things I could say ... but won't.
3. Wear nothing. Or as close to nothing as you can get. For the mental stability of my flatmate and others around me I've not tried this one. However, if this heat keeps up much longer I just might consider purchasing one of the popular crochet, barely there tops. At least people might not stand as close to me on the metro; then I'd only be drowning in my sweat rather than in their sweat too.

I did cover my windows with aluminum foil; that's helping. And I spend most of time sitting on the 'cooler' floor in front of the fan, if I have to go out I am thankful that I can walk because its way better than being smushed into an enclosed bus with other hot people and I've traded room temperature water for an occasional cold drink from the refrigerator. All in all, I think I've adjusted. Now I just wonder how I am going to handle the over abundance of air conditioning when I get back to America? I expect I'll survive just fine.

3 comments:

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

Yes, you will survive the air conditioning just fine. Unlike Emeril we 'kick it DOWN a notch'. Looking forward to running the air conditioning for you. tu mama

Anonymous said...

Sure don't envy you the discomfort, but it sounds like you're coping. Our Jeff could sympathize with you as his a/c is not working well in Ft Worth:( pd

Anonymous said...

oh man, I miss a/c so bad...