Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Admitting you might have a problem.

I love shoes. Period. This leads me to have a lot of shoes. A lot of shoes that I love. Shoes that I love a lot. You get the idea!

I am in the process of having to pare down everything I own to a few boxes. Which means .. yep, you guessed it .. I had to go through all my shoes and get rid of some of them. Whew! That is hard work. Just ask anyone who loves shoes, they speak to you. They speak to you in the department store, they speak to you while you are dressing for a big day and they speak to you while you are trying to get rid of them! I did a preliminary sort putting them in piles of how much I wore them or how comfortable they are. Then I quickly scooped up the ones that I have not worn in about six months and the ones that hurt my foot in some manner and deposited most of them in the garage. Looking at the pile of shoes in the garage, I was pretty proud of myself. The pride of my accomplishment quickly faded when I looked at what was still left. I decided it was time to call in the big guns!

It went something like this:

Me: I like them because I wore them here to do this or that.
Mum: When will you wear them tromping around in the mud?
Me: Never.
Mum: Get rid of them.
Me: I like these a lot. They are cute, kind of out of style and Clinton and Stacey would hate them.
Mum: I agree with Clinton and Stacey.
Me: These are some of my coolest shoes. Except I can’t wear a very thick sock with them.
Mum: How thin of a sock do you wear with them.
Me: None.
Mum: You won’t really like having cold wet toes.
Me: No, I guess they should go too.

In the end I managed to get rid of a lot of my shoes. 54 pairs to be exact! As it was pointed out to me ... that's a lot of pairs of shoes for one pair of feet. Lets just say I kept a few (will be adding a few, hehe) and will have to do a second and final pare down, but I still have five months before I have to get on the plane with my precious belongings crammed into a few boxes!

After all that I needed a nap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Imelda! What size do you wear. The white pumas look awesome! Isn't it amazing how service that is sacrificial sifts excess out of our lives? I have found that dying to myself is profoundly cleansing of the soul and the closet. Ha!
I spoke with James Collins with the Sierra Baptist Association and have forwarded your email to him. He will advocate for you in various churches around Reno.
I've contacted a couple of churches that might agree to be prayer partners.
I'm having fun reading your blog.
One of your prayer partners,
Eddie
Tell your mum and dad hi!