I like the metro. Its fun to ride, gets me where I want to go whilst keeping me warm and it speeds along the process of arrival somewhere. Also, on the metro no one talks to me. If they do it is simply to ask if I am getting off at the next stop and I have mastered hearing this question and responding appropriately - otherwise, I can enjoy a quite, non-threatening ride to where ever.
This is not the case with the grocery store. The chance of having someone speak to me increases by about 100% at the grocery store. This of course then leads me to have to respond. I've been working on my facial responses to inquiries, but sometimes the blank (and often freaked out) look on my face betrays me. This is what happened to me today.
I decided that I would run an errand that I knew I could manage alone and on the way out the door one of my housemates asked me to get some fruit from the grocery store for her. "Sure," I said. Knowing I could go to a certain grocery that I have been to several times and like the metro manage to get through the one question they always ask (do you want a bag? because we have to pay for them if we want one). This is where I made my fatal mistake ... rather than walk an additional twenty minutes to that grocery, I made the brilliant decision to go to the grocery right by where I was. Oops!
At this new grocery the produce section is not self-serve. Problem number one. I successfully said I did not speak Russian to the girl at the counter and we played the point and nod game for her to price my produce. Then came the check out line (where I am capable of answering only the one question) with the lovely lady scanning groceries. First she asked me if I wanted a bag, to which I said no. THEN she proceeded to ask me three other questions before she would give me the total for my purchases?! This is where the bewildered look on my face betrayed me ... I couldn't even get out that I did not speak Russian because I was so confused. I just stood there staring at her and she started back at me. Finally, she pressed some buttons on her computer and gave me my total. I paid her, took my groceries and ran home!
So I successfully bought groceries on my own - but I am not so sure I successfully navigated the language barrier this time. All I can say is "am I glad language class starts on Thursday!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good on ya' for getting out there!! We'd all like to pretend these lovely instances. I had one such instance myself, and I studied this langauge for 2 years, and spend the good part of my day operating in said langauge...and I still managed to get that blank stare on my face and mutter, "uh, uh, uh..." :o)
Love ya, girl!
Lo siento, es dificil hablar Russo. Me gusta el Espanol.Con mucho amor. tu mama
Post a Comment