What has changed in six weeks?! Haha. What has not changed?! Some of the adjustments I have been making are easy; some are so tough they require a laugh just to get through. A few require a change in me … in the way I think and see things (or in how I feel about BIG purses and skinny jeans), but most only require a moment to remember that life here is just “different.”
I have adjusted to giving the cashier more money than necessary to make the purchase, just so she can give me an even bill for change.
I now buy a bag to carry my purchases home in – or I buy only what fits in my purse.
I now own a very large purse to accommodate said purchases.
I also own the very large purse to carry everything else that I might need … including, but not limited to an extra bag, a water bottle, pain relievers, keys, metro card, mobile phone, maps, a notebook, hand sanitizer, a book to read whilst riding the Metro, Kleenex, gloves, umbrella, a shoe shine travel kit, a camera and the kitchen sink.
I do not mind people staring at me (very blatantly, I might add). I just stare back.
I am amused to encounter a little kid walking down the street listening to some American song on the radio only to hear him singing along in Russian.
I no longer assume that the swish, swish sound I hear coming up on me is a human in a track suit. I no longer laugh out loud at the poor cocker spaniel that is forced to wear a blue plaid track suit.
I know that the Бабушка(ba-bush-ka, means grandmother) speaking to me in angry tones is not really yelling at me, she only thinks it is too cold to be out without a hat.
I have adjusted to taking a shower, seeing dirty water in the bathtub and not freaking out that I was that dirty. No the water is that dirty to start with.
I walk everywhere or ride public transportation. I no longer drive.
I often find myself dropping articles from all my English conversations (a common occurrence when conversing with Ukrainians who speak English).
I am no longer late places because I forgot to count the fifteen minutes it takes me to put on all my warm clothes and shoes before heading out the door.
I actually said “Wow. 56 degrees ferin. That is going to be a hot day.”
I do not cringe (visually, anyway) when the neighborhood boys try to practice their English on me and they choose to use profane and vulgar words.
In all, these six weeks have been good. I have learned a lot about myself and others. I have been stretched and given the strength to be stretched. I have begun exploring my new city and am really finding the beauty in it and the people here. May it always be so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
When they stare; yes stare back but with a smile and lip sinc good morning. Continue to enjoy your new place - is it French - Viva la differance! Love 909
Beauty and friendship is everywhere - if you look for it. I'm glad you have found it there.
Great post! You've found some awesome stuff. I particularly like the dog in the track suit...funny!
Seth
I love this because it is all SO true. I have started smiling back at people who stare. Once or twice people have smiled back. I love the babushka disapproval.
Post a Comment