Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Early Morning Thoughts.

When the temperature feels like -15F (it really is only 0F) on the commute to work this is what I think about and what happens to me:

I had a super huge coughing attack upon exiting my building this morning because I forgot to breath through my nose. I inhaled air drastically colder than I had been breathing inside. My lungs did not appreciate it.

I inhaled through my nose with the next breath and immediately all the nose hairs, membranes and maybe even some of my brain froze on contact with the air. Each inhalation is now followed by a twitching of the nose or squeezing my nose between my thumb and finger - all in an effort to unstick the frozen contents of my nose.

As I was riding along on the marshurtka I was glad that I pretty much knew by feel where to get off. There was so much ice on the inside of the bus windows that I could not see out.

I became one of those people I usually laugh at. I became a runner! When I got off the bus at my stop I only had about five seconds to get across a very large street and if I did not get across before the light turned I would be stuck waiting a minute and a half on that side of the street and it would mean I would miss the crossing on the other side ... I refusing to entertain the thought of standing around waiting three minutes for the lights to turn and the cross walks to go my way; so I ran. All in an effort not to be standing still outside for longer than absolutely necessary!

I love the cold weather ... it always brings such new experiences for me (and moments of entertainment for you). Just think, its still early in the winter season here!

No comments: