Saturday, April 17, 2010

Portugal In Favourites.

Places. 25 de Abril bridge across the river in Lisboa. It was designed by the same group who designed the San Francisco - Oakland Bay bridge in California.The famous Lisboa yellow trams. Downtown Lisboa.The arch that links the Commerce Square and Augusta Street. Downtown Lisboa. I do believe that gray, black and yellow are my new favourite colours. Haha. The contrast is eye catching - especially in the old buildings.Spots along the road. These just struck me as interesting and beautiful. For some reason I have developed a love for graffiti?! Maybe it is because graffiti in Ukraine is so colourless and boring ... I do not really know. It just usually catches my eye.Laundry hanging out to dry is always fun. I have a grand time trying to catch a photograph of it blowing in the breeze!People. This man and his dog were sitting in the street whilst I was wandering downtown Lisboa. The little dog was to cute to pass up (I even donated to his cause). The dog did not want to keep holding the basket and he would try to set it down. Every time he did his owner would pick it back up and encourage the little guy to hold it in his mouth again. So cute ... but so sad.I can only imagine the stories this woman could tell ... what a delight it would be to have the opportunity to hear them.The local dress code in one of the sea villages. A bit pirate-ish mixed with a short skirt and throw in some argyle. Her personality matched her outfit!Cabo da Roca. "Here, where the land ends and the sea begins ..." This is the westernmost point of mainland Europe. I imagined all the explorers and sea men in history standing on that very spot wondering what happened when you reached the end. There is no doubt in my mind the fear that must have gripped the sailors (and their families) who traveled with Columbus, the unknown can be terrifying; standing there looking out - there was nothing but the unknown. I am thankful that I know what is at the end of that horizon!

2 comments:

Shari Lutschkin said...

I loved the graffitti-so colorful. I think the lady should be on "What Not to Wear" but I do appreciate her confidence. It takes ALOT of confidence to pull that off with panache..dont'cha think?

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are so beautiful! You are quite an artist!