The large city of Granada, Spain hosts a huge celebration of Semana Santa starting on Palm Sunday; the day Jesus rode into Jerusalem. After a long day of walking around the entire city of Granada (I consulted the map at the end of the day ... I nearly did walk the entire city), I was intent on finding some dinner and heading back to the hostel to lay flat for a while. The bus ended it's route short of what the map said and I ended up having to walk back. What my friend J and I could not figure out was why?! When we walked smack into the middle of the procession we figured it out! We happened upon nearly a front row spot to view the procession.
One of two Mary's in the procession.
I was in Solobrena, Spain on Wednesday and was able to see the town's procession to celebrate and display Christ's suffering and humility. Compared to the procession in Granada, Solobrena's was nearly non-existent. It only had one Order of Brotherhood, followed by one station and then one band. J and I had scoped out a spot to watch the procession and at the starting time we assembled there to wait. We waited and waited. Turns out Solobrenians like to follow the procession along the route. They all went with it from the church; cheering and applauding when the procession was moving and taking in refreshments whilst it was taking a break of its own. After two hours the procession, along with the entire town of Solobrena converged on our little corner. Even though the procession was much smaller - I enjoyed how the station was carried, "danced about" and moved through town.

2 comments:
Muchas Gracias.
These blogs with pictures of your other country adventures are my absolute favorites. Stunning pictures and great commentary. Almost..feel there.
Post a Comment