Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hot Summer Day.

It is hot here. I know, it is hot all over the world ... I am just stating the obvious. It is hot. There are not a whole lot of ways to escape the heat around here. There are no air conditioned homes to retreat to, not much indoor shopping with air conditioning, even sitting in the underground metro stations is an exercise in humidity rather than coolness (not even going to get into it about the actual metro cars ... ugh). If you are lucky enough to own a car with air conditioning, you could drive around town to stay cool. If not, the next best option for getting a little relief is to grab your kids or round up your buddies and head downtown to Independence Square.

On the square there are five big fountains and a huge set of terraces with flowing water. A pretty decent substitution for a pool or water park. The square is always filled with people during the summer weekends and Saturday was no exception. There were people everywhere - hanging out, eating and shopping, but a lot of them were playing in the water. At one point there was even a group of teenagers laying on the middle terrace pool performing some sort of 'synchronized' fountain dance?! Seriously.

I had to laugh as I walked passed this fountain.Someone had decided that it would be even more fun if they added a bubble fountain! There were suds flying everywhere, followed closely by shrieks of joy from the kids having a blast in the new and improved fountain. It was a mess ... a completely hysterical, can't help but smile and take a picture kinda mess.

Oh, the things we do to stay cool!

3 comments:

A. F. said...

The picture gave me some ideas.

The 4 Milams said...

We've been in madrid this week and I think it has been over 100 everyday and humid. I am a Mississippi girl, but I don't think I have been this hot in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a great big dandelion puffball. How fun and uninhibited!PD