Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cold Water.

They told me this day would come … except they said it would not come until August. I suppose the yearly pipe cleaners decided to clean early so they could go on holiday with everyone else in August. Makes sense, right?!

In Ukraine hot water is supplied to each flat, building and home in a communal manner - meaning that the water is heated at a big tank somewhere in the neighborhood and then pumped into each flat. The water distribution pipes are pretty archaic and are difficult to maintain (so I am told, not that I have a lot of experience with piping systems). Prior to arriving in Kyiv, I had been told the hot months of summer meant it was time for the annual профилактические меры по трубам (preventative measures on the pipes). For several weeks the hot water is shut off to a neighborhood and sometimes all the water is shut off so that the pipes can be “cleaned and maintained.” Whatever that exactly means. For the next thirty or so days, I will have no hot water and occasionally no water at all.

I took my first real cold shower last night and it was not so bad … once my lips turned blue and my skin was completely frozen! After a run this morning I took another shower and it is truly amazing how when cold air blows over wet skin, cold water seems warm. Haha. I did decide that it was not worth muscle tightening shivering to wash my hair without a little warm water so I took one pot of boiled water to the shower with me.

I should be glad that they have chosen to shut the water off in May rather than August – the weather is still cool and there is only moderate sweating done during a normal day. However, I can already tell a difference in body odor levels on the metro. I guess if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em! Haha. I can make accommodations for showers and hair washing and doing a little less of both (and giving up shaving completely) should save quite a bit of time during my morning.

So while you are enjoying a nice warm shower, think of me and ENJOY IT!

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Yikes!!! Given my aversion to the cold, you qualify for a suffering servant medal in my opinion:-)

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am impressed with the Russian equivalent of "preventive maintenance on the pipes." And tomorrow I will be doubly thankful for my hot shower--not that will help you any!! On the positive side, you may enjoy "going European re: the shaving. Courage!! pd

The 4 Milams said...

BURRRR! SOunds like you may have to run before every shower to get a warm shower.