In the life of someone who travels, it is not unusual to hear the questions: “What is your favourite thing you have seen?” or “Where is your favourite place in the world?” I could never truly answer the question about my favourite place in the world; each square meter of the planet is beautiful and majestic in its own way; when places are so uniquely different there cannot be a comparison. I also have the impression that answers to the
what question are revolving … you know, ever changing by experience.
That being said … from this moment forward, included in the Top Ten list of my favourite things in the world I have seen - will be The Alhambra. I am not sure I can express why – there was simply something majestic about the intricacy, details beyond my wildest imagination, care and concern for craftsmanship and the melding of use and beauty.

The Alhambra was built in the mid 14th century buy the Moorish rulers. It was built for the last Muslim king of Spain. After the Reconquista in 1492 some portions of the fortress were used by the Christian rulers. Though they chose to build their own palace, The Palace of Charles V, because he felt the Moorish palace was not grand and magnificent enough for him to live in. (Which just meant it was not BIG enough for him … because his palace pales in comparison as far as craftsmanship and decoration … my opinion. Haha.) The whole area was allowed to fall into disrepair until it was “discovered” in the 19th century by scholars and travelers. In 1832, Washington Irving published his collection of essays, verbal sketches and stories titled Tales of the Alhambra. The book was instrumental in reintroducing the Alhambra to Western audiences and allowing for the historical status it enjoys today.
The gardens of The Generalife.














Entrance into the Palacio de Nasrid (the original palace of the Moors).


















If you have made it to the end of all the pictures ... you deserve to know that I almost titled this post "Vomiting Pictures." I apologise for the plethora of pictures, I just really, really, really liked The Alhambra. Yes, top ten for sure.
6 comments:
Never apologize for pictures - they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. LT
Never apologize for too many photos. I loved them all and now I have info on the Alhambra. Thanks for all the work this took. I loved it even if I am supposed to say that.
Absolutely beautiful!! I am positive that these pictures do not do them justice (because people always say that) but I think you came pretty darn close.
Excellent pictures of a magnificent site. Thanks, 909
What a beautiful place! Maybe you should become a photographer! Great pictures!
ooh, now you've made me want to go there, too!
Post a Comment