Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chicken.

I am such a chicken when it comes to doing things that I am not sure I can do perfectly. I hate failing at things. Yes, I understand this is a character flaw ... I am working on it.

I cannot decide if Russian brings out the worst of this in me or if in some deranged way it is helping to cure me. What I do know is that today I failed at overcoming.

I was sitting at lunch with a group of women I do not normally sit with; I knew that three of the five did not speak English at all and I was not sure about the other two. For a while, I was content to sit and eat lunch without saying a word. As lunch was winding down the table began to clear out ... I was left sitting with one girl. I had been introduced to her sometime ago, but of course I could not remember her name (as I type this I remember her name, geez ... a little late). We sat there finishing up lunch in complete silence. It was not that I did not want to talk to her - I just had no idea how to say "I am sorry, I know we have been introduced, but I cannot remember what your name is. I am Susanna, you are?" I knew how to tell her what my name was, but it takes a lot of extra hand gestures to go from me giving you unsolicited information about myself to you giving me information about yourself without speaking the same language. So I just sat there - eating. Eating and going over and over in my head how I would say things to her - you know - if I were brave enough to just try to talk to her. I then moved on to arguing with myself about actually talking to her. I could have asked if she spoke English, but I did not want her to assume that I was not willing to speak Russian or that I somehow thought English was better. I could have asked how she was, but then what would I do if she did not speak English? It is amazing how many justifications I can come up with for not talking to someone when all I really want is to talk to them.

In the end, she finished her lunch and I finished mine. We cleared our dishes to the kitchen and parted ways. I could not even bring myself to interject a "good-bye" because at that point I was simply ashamed at my lack of ability to speak Russian and my failure to even try.

3 comments:

Uncle Steve said...

I think I can understand your feeling. But, God is the God of second chances. LOL

Anonymous said...

Dear Susanna...you are so much like me...and Uncle Steve is right on! Also from vast(ahem!) personal experience w/ perfectionism, I can certainly testify that HE is the provider of third, fourth, fifth....and many larger number... chances! And, please don't forget how AMAZINGLY FAR you've come in such a short time and that you are loved...bunches! SH in NC

Anonymous said...

oh...I do this too. I have not done or said a lot of things because I don't know how to say them in French. :(