Monday evening was my last English class for the semester. I am sad that the class is over because I really enjoyed getting to know these girls and to have a scheduled time each week to see them. I taught the Upper Intermediate class and ended up with just girls about two weeks in. I enjoyed just having the girls ... they are a funny bunch.
For our last lesson I did not plan a structured lesson, but instead made the girls give speeches and ask each other questions and then we shared tea and cookies. I also let them ask me questions. I told them they could ask me any question and I would answer it - I am not sure that was such a good idea! Haha.
They had a few questions about life in America, but we actually spent most of the time talking about our standards for future husbands?! Man, I thought I had high standards! I loved getting to hear about their ideas of what they wanted in some one to love, what they thought marriage should look like and what kind of respect they required from others. Sometimes I feel like life and people are so different here, then I have a conversation like this and realise that we are not so different after all.
They also asked about how I decided to come to Ukraine and I was able to share quite a bit of the back story with them. They seemed to be genuinely interested in my story and I am hoping that it will have an impact on them in some way. I have been able to do a few things with some of the girls outside of class time and I am hoping that this will continue. They are a neat group of women and I will miss them on Monday nights.

1 comment:
sounds like a really cool way to end the class. guess it was worth the effort, huh? who would have known going in. you done good 909
Post a Comment