Wednesday, September 9, 2009

To Funny.

Yesterday, I left the seminary by way of the green front gate. As I walked through the gate I passed two people having a conversation. It was S (a seminary student who speaks English) and some random, strange guy. When I passed them, S said good-bye to me (in English). He and this man continued in a conversation about learning English ... or something like that. I only caught a bit of the communication as I passed.

I did not think much of it as I walked up the street to catch my marshutka home ... except to think ... how glad I was that it was S who got caught having to talk to the guy and not me! At the corner I turned right to cross the street. The little green guy was still "walking" and so I walked. I only made it across half the street before the little man changed to red. So I waited. Do not worry, there is an island in the middle of the road - I was not randomly standing in the middle of the road.

As I was standing there waiting for the light to be green again, I noticed a man walking toward me. It was the same strange man that had been talking to S. I could not figure out how he got all the way up the road so quickly - but whatever. I went back to watching the traffic signals. Then the man came right up to me. He said (in English) "Excuse me, do you speak English?" I looked right at him and shook my head no! Then he said (in Russian) "Thank you" and walked away.

What?! Of course, I spoke English. I knew what he had asked, did I not?! And S spoke to me in English as I left the seminary?! Haha.

This one has made me laugh quite a bit ... honestly though, I am glad it worked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so did you lie - or are you become a native:)??? psp