Thursday, September 17, 2009

Repeat.

There is an old song titled Holy, Holy, Holy. A while ago I found a version that starts out with some different lyrics and then ends with the powerful and timeless first and fourth verse of the traditional song. It makes my heart smile.

I like this song so much and it moves something so deep in me that I even include it in my play list for my runs. I love it especially because it includes my favourite verse of the old song:

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blesses Trinity!

The early hours of dawn are when I find myself so willing and capable to lift my song to Him. The early hours are some of my best hours in the day … the sun is rising and the darkness is retreating for another day. On the days when I need an attitude adjustment or just a focus on my run I can flip to this song and listen to it on repeat for the innumerable miles that lay ahead of me.

That is how it was for me yesterday morning. I was distracted with failure of plans, struggling with the lack of internet connection at my flat; disappointed with some different situations … I was caught in the middle of the ebb and flow of life. I flipped to the song and let it start playing. I knew what this song would do for my spirit.

After a few notes of the song, I began to notice no change in my disposition. I turned the song up louder. Nothing. I kept hitting repeat. Nothing. Each time the song ended I felt like I was running head on into a light pole. Smack! I hit repeat. Smack! Repeat. Smack!

Whilst I kept hitting repeat, I was trying desperately to figure out what I was missing. About the tenth time through it became clear. In my heart I was very clearly missing the third verse.

Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee,
Though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,
Only thou are holy; there is none beside thee,
Perfect in power, in love and purity.

I was missing a reliance on the truth that when life is hard and struggles, disappointments and failures abound … God is still powerful. Even in the moments of overwhelming darkness, He is still there and He still has a plan and a purpose for me. I need to seek Him; yes in the moments of bright sunshine and joy of the early morning but also in the dusk of the late afternoon and in the darkness of the night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder. This was something I definitely needed to hear this morning. Love ya, Ant K.

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

Ahhh, this was Kay's 2nd song yesterday, just after Joyful, Joyful. It is her standard for the first day of BSF. I thought of you then. Answers. tu mama

Anonymous said...

Insights; answers to prayers; keep the gem of truth by your side; thanks for the words! 909

Anonymous said...

So true! Thanks for sharing. pd