Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Nevada Day!

The girls came of over last night to celebrate my birthday and in a round about way Nevada Day! We had a mini English lesson about statehood and things of that nature. I think this conversation was about the only one that took place in English! It was so fun to be hearing Russian spoken in my home! Dinner was good, conversation was great ... but the highlight of the evening was our after dinner plan.

The girls were a little skeptical about this whole pumpkin carving thing. Especially as they had too scoop out the insides of the pumpkin. They kept asking me was this going to be worth it?! This is so hard, are you sure this is what we are supposed to do to the pumpkin?! I just kept telling them to be patient and keep going. They would love it in the end.Once the pumpkins were all carved, we put candles in them and the girls thought they were nice. We took lots of pictures with the pumpkins. The problem was ... I was not getting the reaction I was looking for. I wanted them to be thrilled with all their hard work. Haha.

So whilst they were taking pictures and admiring each others carvings; I stepped into the hallway (that's where the light switch is) and said "no, wait till you see this" and flipped off the lights. I wish I had recorded the symphony of Ooo's and Ahhh's, the Wow's and excited giggles! They loved looking at the pumpkins in the dark! I was glad that they got excited and it turned out to be a great time.We enjoyed some tea and cake and visited for a little bit longer. I had a wonderful time with the girls and I am so glad I caved and threw myself a party! What a blessing. I hope that I can be creative and come up with opportunities to invite the girls back. I loved having them in my home, laughing with them, getting to know them better and simply being with them. All told, it was a wonderful evening - and a wonderful birthday.

2 comments:

Dollmaker extraordinaire said...

I am truely impressesd, mine never looked so good. tu mama

Shari Lutschkin said...

Absolutely love all the wonderful pumpkins! I like the picture of them all in the dark. Sounds like all went well--will be continue to remember your other concerns:D