Last night there was quite the discussion about pumpkins. I was enlightened to another Ukrainian tradition ... one that explains all the strange looks I got while purchasing and toting home seven pumpkins!
You see ... Ukrainians are very proud people and it is considered very bad form to offend or reject people. Especially verbally. Through history things have been done to say no or decline an offer from someone without having to say "no." This way, you have not verbally offended or rejected anyone. Your reputation remains intact without having to do something you did not want to.
It turns out, the way to decline a proposal to enter into a dating or marriage relationship is to GIVE THEM A PUMPKIN! Haha! Oh man! I can only imagine what the old woman at the renok thinks of me and my love life! Haha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
I was already laughing at you carrying all those pumpkins, now it is really funny. tu mama
That's hilarious!!
hahahahahaha!!!
That is too good! But judging by the party results, your Kiev frineds will now have a different view of pumpkins:) pd
Post a Comment